What if the name on Aadhar and PAN is different?
You are the owner of the PAN card, even though the name on your PAN card doesn’t match your Aadhar card. If you have multiple characters in your Aadhaar Card, you will be asked to enter only one of them when applying for a PAN card. For example: if there are two names on your Aadhaar Card, you can give either one when applying for a PAN card because both cannot be mentioned as per Income Tax rules.
➲ The address on my Aadhar different from that on my PAN?
I have my PAN card and Aadhaar card with different names.
- If the name on your card is different from the name on your Aadhaar card, you will have to change it.
- You can change your name on the pan card by submitting a change of name form to the pan card authority. You must duly sign the form. It should contain supporting documents such as an affidavit stating that the new name has been used for at least six months before applying for a new PAN, a certified copy of your passport showing both names, or any other proof that supports your request for changing names.
- If there are any errors or omissions in the information provided by you or if there are any doubts about the genuineness of documents submitted with the application for getting PAN, then the applicant has the option of either self-declaration by the applicant themself or additional copies may be obtained from the applicant at their cost.
My name has been changed in the Aadhaar with proper proof, but the word in my PAN card is still the same.
If you have changed your name in the Aadhaar, you must know that it is proof of identity, address, age, and citizenship. It is also proof of family relationship if it has been updated with the name change.
On the other hand, the card is proof of tax obligations and financial transactions. The PAN card does not matter for getting any benefits from government schemes or subsidies available to people with low-income levels or below the poverty line (BPL).
I want to update the PAN also to match with my Aadhaar.
To change your name in PAN, you must fill out the 49A form and submit it along with supporting documents. The requirement for this is:
- A copy of your Aadhaar card (along with its photo)
- A copy of any one of these documents:
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Challan (if you are an individual taxpayer).
- Certificate of Address issued by a Gazetted Officer on official letterhead.
- Documents relating to issuance or renewal of passport/driving license by government authorities, including municipal corporations, state transport authorities, etc.
The PAN card has not been issued yet.
If the PAN card has not been issued yet, you can apply for it after getting your Aadhar card. You can also update your name on the card after getting it.
There are three ways to apply for a new card:
- Apply online at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/Home/Knowledge_Centre/Registration_of_New_PAN_Card
- Apply by post at https://www.panchayatkaryavahi.gov.in/PortalNode/portalHomePage
- Apply by visiting any Income Tax Office
If you face any problems, you can contact NSDL at 020-27218080.
face any problems, you can contact NSDL at 020-27218080.
If you have a query, complaint, or suggestion regarding the service provided by NSDL to you, please send an email to email@example.com or write a letter to National Securities Depository Limited, Help Desk (NPL), C-25 & 26th Floor Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC), Bandra East Mumbai 400 051 India or call us on our toll-free number 1800 425 0122 between 9 am and 6 pm IST Monday through Friday. In addition, you can also write directly to the following address:
The Income Tax Department has made provisions for a name change on PAN and Aadhar. You can easily change the name on your card and Aadhar card if it does not match your Aadhaar card. Changing the name on Pan Card is simple and can be done online or offline, depending upon the convenience of an individual.